Thursday, June 24, 2010

Super Chunky Blanket!

This pattern is SUPER easy, and is the fastest blanket that I have ever knit.

Yarn: Lion Brand Woolease Thick & Quick. 10 -170gm balls. (I used Taupe)

Needles: 9mm (US 13) use long circulars as the weight and size will be too heavy for straights. I used my Denise set.

Cast on 100 sts.

Seed stitch for 6 rows. (row one: Knit 1, Purl 1, repeat across. Row 2: Knit the purls and purl the knits)
Establish basket weave pattern (place markers -PM- until you have the blocks really set)

Row one: Seed stitch the first 5 stitches, PM, knit 18, PM, purl 18, PM, knit 18, PM, purl 18, PM, knit 18, PM, seed stitch last 5 stitches.
Row two and every even row, seed stitch the first and last 5 stitches, and knit the knits, or purl the purls in all the squares!

Work rows one and two for 24 rows, then on the right side:

Seed stitch 5, Purl 18, knit18, purl 18, knit18, purl 18, seed stitch 5. (this reverses the knit and purl blocks and creates the basketweave effect)
continue with wrong side, knitting the knits and purling the purls as newly established.

Work this block for 24 rows, then switch again.

You should be maintaining the seed stitch border all along, and just swicthing the 18 stitch blocks when they are about square (see photo). I did this for seven block rows (you can do it for as long as you want) and then finish with 6 rows of seed stitch right across, then cast off all stitches.

Weave in all the loose ends, and go have a nap on the sofa under this beauty - you have earned it!


15 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

You do very nice work.
I'm in a slump myself.
Hope the two of us find our inspiration soon.

Anonymous said...

can you pls tell me what the gauge is and th finished size? thanks you. very nice blanker! cant wait to make it.

chris said...

About 8 sts = 4 inches... Really not too important, as one size fits all!
Chris

xoxo jt said...

I knit this 5 squares wide and 9 long. It's so cozy. Heavier than expected. 9 long was perfect to throw across end of queen bed. Great pattern, thanks

CC UK said...

I am relieved, pardon the pun,that these comments are vetoed prior to publication.
However, I must express my reservations about the unfortunate choice of word in one of the comments, shhhhh.....

Anonymous (whose name is widely used on most websites)

You need not publish this but if you does, edit as you see fit, thank you.

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris

I am looking forward to knitting a smaller, single size, version of your blanket. Can you please say how many squares or no of stitches you would need for a single size blanket - I am petite and I thank you for your advice. Maths is not my best subject.

Have a nice day, all who read this.

Thank you.

CC

chris said...

This blanket would fit a single bed, (or a sofa nap)... you would have to knit many more squares to make a queen or king blanket.
I have not put a gauge on this one, as it is a non-specific size, but it measures about 4.5 feet by 5.5 feet, so you should be fine I think...
If you want a blanket to a specific size, and do not want to do the math, then I suggest you knit a swatch, wash it, and measure the gauge, then email me with the gauge, and the exact size of blanket you would like, and I can crunch the numbers for you.
Chris

Brendan said...

I'm new to knitting so consider me a complete novice :-)
How many hours do you think it would take me to knit this? I know it will vary from person to person but just a ball park figure would be great!

chris said...

To answer the time question, I would have to have some knowledge of your knitting speed. Myself, it took a few evenings to knit each block row, and I estimate about 3 - 4 weeks of knitting.
I have not known any pattern that is designed by the hour.... Just knit, relax and when it's done, smile!
chris

Unknown said...

Hi,
On the pattern, for row 2 and every even row, you say to
Row two and every even row, seed stitch the first and last stitches and knit the knits, or purl the purls. Not knit every stitch like the Basketweave Afghan? I like the way this looks better than that pattern

chris said...

Hi Carole, I don't know the Basketweave Afghan, but to make a true block pattern, you need to work blocks of stocking stitch and reverse stocking stitch... I love this simple pattern too.
Cheers, Chris

Spain Visitor said...

Pattern very nice, but instructions too hard to understand.

chris said...

Sorry it is too hard to understand. Anyone out there that has knit this? Photos of finished blankets would be nice to post.
Chris

26brit said...

Hi Chris

Did you use 36" circular needles for this?

Thanks

chris said...

I may have used even longer circ's for this one, but 36 would be a good minimum length.