Friday, July 23, 2010

Alpaca Silk Easy Cardi'



Now with Multi-sizing!  I decided this would be the first of the updated patterns, since this one was the most requested.  It is truly easy... to knit and to wear.  Enjoy!



I have been looking at a bag full of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK for over a year, and could not decide whether it wanted to be scarves and hats or a garment! Finally I pictured it as a soft fitting cardigan, more drape than shape. This leads to an easy knit, and I did it on a bit bigger needle to emphasize the soft drape. The easy design includes self-finished edges (no ribbing to pick up and finish) and picked up sleeves (no shoulder seams to sew later!)
Sizes:  Small (fits bust 32 – 34 “), Medium (fits 36 – 38 “), Large (fits 40 – 42), Xlarge (fits 44 – 46)
Yarn: 9, [10, 12, 14] balls of Debbie Bliss alpaca silk dk, colour 26009 (teal) ( 50gms, 114 yards) or any DK weight that knits to GAUGE, you may need more balls if longer sleeves are the choice.
Needles: 4.5 mm (US 7)  (adjust to get GAUGE if necessary)
Stitch marker.
Gauge: 14 sts = 4 inches, and 19 rows = 4 inches.  *** please check your gauge and change the needles or the yarn choice to match the gauge.  This will insure the size you want!!

Stitch patterns: Seed stitch: Row 1: [knit1, purl 1] repeat across.  Row 2: knit the purls, purl the knits!  Repeat these two rows.
Stocking Stitch: Row 1: knit across all stitches. Row 2 purl across all stitches.
For multi sizing, the first number will be small the rest in the [brackets] like this:  small[medium,large,xlarge]

Back: Cast on 56[63,70,77] stitches, Work in seed stitch for 12[12,14,14] rows. Change to stocking stitch. Work in stocking stitch for 11[12,13,14] inches (above seed band). Cast off 4 stitches at start of next two rows (armhole placement). Continue in stocking stitch until 10[10,10.5,11] inches above armhole decrease.
Cast off 12[14,16,18] stitches at start of next 2 rows. (24[27,30,33] stitches left). Work 6 rows of seed stitch on these remaining stitches for back of neck. Cast off all remaining stitches.

Front Right: Cast on 46[50,54,58] stitches. Work seed stitch for 12[12,14,14] rows. Next row: work seed stitch for 10[10,12,12] stitches, place marker, work stocking stitch for the rest of the row. Continue to work a seed stitch band on the right edge (inside marker) and stocking stitch on the rest for 11[12,13,14] inches above the lower seed stitch band. Cast off 4 stitches from the LEFT side of the piece (at the start of the wrong side of knitting).  Work until the piece is length to the shoulder of the back piece. Next row (right side facing you):  Work in seed stitch across to the last 12[14, 16, 18] shoulder stitches. Cast off these 12[14,16,18] sts (shoulder). With wrong side facing (next row) join yarn again and work the last 6 rows in seed stitch for all remaining stitches. Cast off all stitches.

Left Front; Cast on 46[50,54,58] stitches. Work seed stitch for 12[12,14,14] rows. Next row: work stocking stitch until last 10[10,12,12] stitches, place marker, work seed stitch for the rest of the row. Continue to work a seed stitch band on the left edge (inside marker) and stocking stitch on the rest for 11[12,13,14] inches above the lower seed stitch band. Cast off 4 stitches from the RIGHT side of the piece (at the start of the right side of knitting). Work until the piece is length to the shoulder of the back piece.
Cast off first 12[14,16,18] sts (shoulder) then work the last 6 rows in seed stitch for all remaining stitches. Cast off all stitches.
Shoulder: Stitch the shoulder stitches together on the fronts to the back, and stitch the short seed stitch back piece to the short seed edge on the front piece (bit of a collar - only an inch seam).

Sleeves:
With right side facing you pick up 68[68, 70, 72] stitches along the armhole.  Knitting down the sleeve, use stocking stitch and off you go. Decrease one each side of the sleeve, every 6 rows until the length you want - mine is 14 inches for a 3/4 length sleeve. Finish with 6 rows of seed stitch, and cast off. Repeat for the other sleeve.
Sew side and sleeve seams.




*****update January 2015****** Michelle sent me her photo of the finished Cardigan!  Lovely


45 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Looks very nice on you. :0)
Thought I had patience, but adult size is not my bag.
THX for sharing.
If nothing else, I can feel my creative side wanting to pick up my yarn again. (((hugs)))

Ann at KFI said...

That sweater look very comfy.

chris said...

That was the plan... not too structured and soft drape, really like a favourite OLD sweater, soft, loose and totally comfy!
Thanks for the nice words...
Chris

Unknown said...

What size is the sweater? If you already said, my apologies, but I didn't see it.

chris said...

sorry Susan, yes I missed it. I have since added the sizing to the pattern. Thanks for the catch.
Chris

Anonymous said...

Awesome sweater. Even more awesome on you! well done!

Kelly

chris said...

This one has become one I wear a LOT... It looks great over a crisp white blouse.

The Daily Knitter said...

This pattern was selected as today's Free Knitting Pattern of the Day on Nov 1st over at The Daily Knitter. It's also posted in our Free Knitting Patterns listings under Cardigans. Love the seed stitch trim - it makes the sweater. Happy Knitting!

Moe Par said...

Looks like a great cardigan.
I would need to do it in a 2X. About how much should I add to it to get it to my size?

chris said...

If anyone would like a custom size pattern, you can email me (contact is upper right) and for a small fee (paypal) I will rewrite the whole pattern and attach it to your email.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the sweater!! Today I wore mine, baby alpaca dk in true blue, for the first time. It looked terrific, felt even better and I received many compliments! I am going to give it another go in wool and add buttons. Thank you so much for sharing this delightful pattern.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!
I would really like to try making this sweater. On the Left Front; you say to repeat same as right but reverse the stitch & shaping details. I wonder if you could write out exactly what that would be, so I don't mess it up trying.
Thank you in advance!

chris said...

Any custom pattern requests should be forwarded through my contact email (above tight).... I cannot do patterns through the comments :)

dewink93 said...

I love this pattern because it uses stitches and works from armhole to edge of sleeve. But I must be over thinking the armhole edges. If I "Continue in stocking stitch until 10 inches above armhole decrease, putting first and last stitch of each row on stitch holder." Where does that stitch come from, since there are no increase stitches to account for the stitch being moved?

chris said...

I don't have any part of my pattern that uses stitch holder ... not sure where you read that!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I can't get this Debbie Bliss alpaca wool easily in Australia. Can I use Blue Sky Alpaca silk (50/50) 8 ply, (DK, light worsted)instead? And if so, do I need to modify the pattern or needle size at all? I'm a fairly beginner knitter. thanks, Filippa (Australia)

chris said...

You can use any yarn that knits to gauge... Knit an approx 6 inch square, then check in the middle how many stitches in a row = 4 inches... more than my pattern, try a bigger needle, less than my pattern try a smaller needle!
hope that helps, c

Anonymous said...

Does the offer to resize still stand? I am a 16w. I did not see an email address.

chris said...

my email address is right below the PRINT instructions, on the right side column... please send me an email about custom patterns.
chris

Anonymous said...

It would be nice if the pattern weren't white printing on black background, it is really hard to read, and doesn't print out well. I can not use your patterns because of this and I think they are really nice patterns.

chris said...

done, we have a bright new blog... black letters! Happy knitting (it was time for a change, thanks for the push.

Joy said...

I just discovered your site. I love your patterns. I am a new (3 years soon) obsessive knitter!!!! One thing I am never sure of is the size. Bust measurements are measured where? Is it the band of your bra or the girls highest peak?? Haha! I will be knitting this cardigan with alpaca my son and wife brought me home from Peru!! Thanks for your help

Joy said...

I just discovered your site and love your patterns. Thank you so much for sharing. I have a question about the sizing. Where do I measure for bust measurement for you alpaca cardigan? Thx agin!!

chris said...

Effectively, the bust measurement is the widest part of you around.... It is a casual fit, but I use bust (chest) measurement instead of size 10 or 12, as the number sizes mean different things in different parts of the world.
Hope that helps, Chris

Anonymous said...

The stitches you state are remaining at back shoulder are wrong when you decrease.

Anonymous said...

When you say to cast off the stitches at the shoulder, the remaining stitches don't correspond to your total stitches (eg. 24 - 33_

chris said...

If you have cast off the 8 sts at the armhole (4 each side) then worked even to the shoulder, the math works. I checked it for all sizes...

Not sure why it does not work for you...?

chris

RebeccaH said...

Thought I should weigh in, I only do adult crafts, I dabble in baby and toys etc. No kids in my house anymore so I knit to please me. thank you for sharing this pattern.

Unknown said...

And this is my next project! Thank you so much. I'm just going back into knitting and this cardi is really great! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Chris, can you help please. I have bought DK with the same gauge as the Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk. The stated gauge is 22 stiches 30 rows over 10 cm. I have tried to get you your gauge of 14 stiches 19 rows. Even with size 5mm needles I can't get near it.
What am I doing wrong?
Thank you for your lovely pattern

chris said...

You did not say what number you are getting with the 5mm needles. One thing about the gauge I use: ***** it is very important to knit a gauge larger than 14 sts ( you want about 6 inches square) AND you want to wash and block the square before measuring the gauge. I intentionally did this one on larger needles to make a loose gauge, to get the drape on the front.
If your yarn is not soft enough to spread a little upon washing, it may not work, or you may need a larger needle.
Hope that helps
chris

Unknown said...

Thank you Chris. Will try washing and blocking my sample to see if that helps. Was getting 18 x 24
Kay

Unknown said...

First of all, thank you for putting up free patterns, you are amazing. I was wondering if you could use different yarn, maybe like worsted weight/Aran? Do you have an approximation of how that might change the garment? ( I am a very new knitter)

chris said...

Hi Julia, you could use a soft Worsted Weight (not too stiff). It may end up a bit bigger, so knit a slightly smaller size, and it should work. If it is too stiff, you may not get as much drape, more of a jacket, but that could be fun too.
Hope that helps, Chris

Brenda J said...

I love this pattern and I absolutely ADORE the self finished edges! I've been looking for a great sweater with no buttons and NO "pick up and knit 245 stitches along the front edge." Gah! Hate that, lol. Gonna have to find the right yarn, though. The Debbie Bliss alpaca/silk is discontinued:(

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your patterns. I appreciate the easy way to copy and paste to my computer. I knit for several ministries, so I am glad to get these nice patterns.

Anonymous said...

are you able to increase pattern size to plus sizes? Bigger upper arm, longer in waist, and wider. ...thanks.

chris said...

Using a little math, and looking at the sizes .... you could cast on 4 extra stitches on the front for each 2 extra inches you would like, and 7 extra stitches on the back for each 2 extra stitches you would like.
Sleeves add 4 for each extra "size" you went up on the front and back. Then you can adjust your length of body and underarm to fit what you would like.

If you don't want to do that you can email me and with a few conversations, and a small paypal fee, I will customize the pattern for YOU.

Hope that helps, Chris

Anonymous said...

This Cardigan is Beautiful! I have the perfect soft cotton to knit it in...after I knit a few other projects. Thank you for sharing this pattern for free.

Julie D. said...

I'm returning to knitting after some years away. I'm having major trouble with the gauge. I bought some Lion Brand Baby Soft DK weight yarn-- cheap yes, but I want to make this sweater cheaply before spending lots on yarn. I cannot get 14 sts over 4 inches to save my life. I"m up to a size nine needle. I usually knit spot on gauge. Is the yarn too thin? With cheap yarn should I go up to a heavier yarn? The wpi for the Lion Brand yarn is higher than the Debbie Bliss yarn you used. Is that my problem?

chris said...

Hi Julie, You do not say what your gauge is on the larger needle...
Also, you should wash and lie flat to block the gauge, and measure after drying. The intent of my gauge is to knit a DK weight loosely (over slight larger needles) to insure a soft drape for this pattern. So wash your gauge and dry flat and email me (upper right corner) with the gauge you get, and the size you want, and I can help you get the results you want! The yarn should be fine.
Chris

Anonymous said...

I am having the same problem as several other people. I can not get your gauge. I used a cherub dk, a worsted yarn, and Caron Simply Soft. I get 24-28 stitches to 4 inches. I have used size 8,9,10 and 11 needles and can not come close to your gauge. I checked out the Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk DK(discontinued) to check the gauge it called for and it is 22 st = 4. I really would like to make this sweater but I am so sick of making, washing and drying swatches that I about to give it up. What size needle did you use to get your gauge? Also, what type and weight of yarn might give me the gauge I need.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

chris said...

So, I am thinking perhaps the yarn needs more attention. I remember that Debbie Bliss Alpaca DK was a very soft (almost thinner than DK, but the fluffy alpaca gave is a bit more body).
So perhaps some of the acrylic DK are a bit too sturdy to knit on larger needles and get that relaxed gauge this pattern needs. They may not stretch enough after blocking to hit the gauge.
I am thinking that you may need to find a baby weight yarn (one that suggests needle size of 3.75 (US 5) and a gauge of around 22 sts = 4 inches) With the idea of knitting that finer yarn on bigger needles, you should get near to gauge.
If you notice on searching D.B.Alpaca Silk DK, they called for US 6 - 4.0 mm needles and gauge of 22, but when I knit it on larger (on purpose) I managed to get a really soft drape to the front (on purpose)
A thicker yarn will not get there.
I am sure this happens to all patterns, eventually the yarn that was used is discontinued, and the pattern becomes much more difficult to reproduce.
I made this one 5 years ago, and it is still the one so many write about and send me photos of finished sweaters!
Again, if you get the gauge close, and email me directly (in the right side column) with your intended size (in inches) and the gauge after washing, I will help you work out the numbers required.
Cheers, Chris

marina zagrai said...

I am using a dk yarn, and have done the gauge with size 7 and 8, and 14 stitches do not add up to 4 inches (2.5 in for me). I'm making this for my daughter, who is on the small side, so width is more important (since it's top-down, it can't be too wide). I discovered this pattern last year.

chris said...

Maria, gauge is important to size, so you need to try a smaller needle, or a different yarn. Also if you are doing a gauge by just casting on 14 stitches and knitting a swatch from there, you will always get some curl and shrinking at the edge. If this is how you did the gauge, I suggest casting on 28 stitches, and knitting for 6 inches, then measuring 4 inches away from any edge, then count your stitches. Even better: wet and block your swatch, then measure. Your yarn may still work that way.
Chris

ps. sorry to take so long to respond.... I was away in Florida for some fun in the sun!