Saturday, July 5, 2008

Wood Hoods - Hybrids!

I have used my Wood Hoods for a few years and have made many colours for myself and friends. Just this week I caved to the new trend of Hybrids, and bought a 23 degree and 27 degree hybrid. They will replace my 3 iron and 5 iron and hopefully improve my game astronomically! (no pressure)! Of course the first thing I did (even before taking them to the range to see if I can hit the beasts) was make 2 new Wood Hoods in mini-hybrid size! I put the numbers on the side as that is the flattest place when the hoods are on, and I should be able to spot the numbers easily.

Please keep your hybrids warm with these new hoods. Pamper them and they will treat you well. Fly straight and long my new metal friends!
Wood Hoods - Hybrids.
One Size: For Hybrids, (utility woods – small woods that replace mid to long irons) **** For Full Size Driver and 3-wood covers see HERE!

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS ”Sock” section [tube] is 1.5 inches wide and 9 inches long.
Hood section is 5 inches wide and 5.5 inches long BEFORE felting.
Hood is 4.5 inches wide and long AFTER felting.

MATERIALS [for 3 Hybrid Wood Hoods]
[Hood Yarn #1]: Patons Classic Wool [100% wool; 223 yds per 100g skein]; color: Royal Blue: 1 skein[Hood Yarn #2] Lion Brand Fun Fur [100# polyester; 60 yds per 50g skein]; color: Royal Blue; 2 skeins
[“Sock” Yarn] Patons Canadiana worsted weight [100% Acrylic; 170 yds per 85g skein]; color: Black: 1 skein

1 set US 10.5/6.5mm double-point needles for hoods
1 set US 7/4.5mm double-point needles for “socks”

Notions required: purchase sew-on number patches [optional]

GAUGE
11 sts/19 rows = 4” in stockinette stitch with Hood Yarn #1 and #2 held together on 6.5mm needles
14 sts/24 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch in Canadiana on 4.5 mm needles

PATTERN NOTES
When substituting yarns, ensure that the “sock” yarn is 100% acrylic and fairly sturdy twist, so it holds a stretchy rib without sagging. If you choose a yarn that has any wool in it, knit the “sock” separate from the Hood, and felt wash the Hood alone, then attach the “sock”. You want the Hood to felt, and shrink, but NOT the “sock”. Also make sure the Hood Yarn #1 is 100% wool and not a superwash wool. You want it to felt well.


PATTERN
Sock: Starting with “sock” yarn and 4.5mm needles cast on LOOSELY 24 and distribute between 3 dpn’s. Join without twisting, and work in k2, p2 ribbing in the round for 9 inches.
Last row of “sock”: Increase 6 stitches evenly across last row. 30 stitches on needles.
Hood: Change to 6.5mm dpn’s, and Classic Wool and Fun Fur, begin stocking stitch loosely in the round, with both yarns worked together.
Work until the fuzzy hood is 5 inches long.
Decrease row 1: [k2tog, k1] repeated across this row. 20 sts remain.
Row 2: [K2tog, k1] repeated across this row to last 2 sts, K2 tog . 13 sts remain.
Row 3: K2tog, repeated across this row to last st, then K1. 7 sts remain.
Break 10 inch tail of both yarns, and using large eye darning needle thread tail through remaining stitches to gather closed and securely fasten the tail. Sew in all yarn ends.
FINISHING
Felting is simple in the washing machine, with hot water. Use a regular setting and small load size. I usually put the item[s] in a mesh bag to reduce the wooly residue in the tub and drain, and will throw old dishtowels in to help beat up the wood hoods. One full cycle usually reaches the dimensions required, but you can check every 5 minutes and do a second cycle if needed to get the approximate size of finished measurements. You want a firm, dense, fuzzy fabric. Air dry and reshape the ribbing to allow it to dry unstretched.
Sew optional numbers on side of hood: 3, 5, or whatever is required for others. I have also used letter beads to spell out “three” and “five” and sew to hood.

18 comments:

Jane said...

be worth taking up golf just to knit these, they look fantastic

Unknown said...

I am going to open up my own buisness for golfers because I live on a golf course. there's big profit in it.
I love these, and I won't copy them, I'll probabbly change them some. thanks for the awesome pattern though!

Elainef said...

Thanks for these great patterns for MY golf clubs. We share addictions it seems...I can't wait to figure out which colors to use for woods and hybrids. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I would like to know when you felt the head covers -- should they be washed inside out?

Thank you!

chris said...

It doesn't need to be inside out. I do them right side out, it may be hard to turn them when wet, and you need to fluff and shape and let dry.

Esther said...

Thanks so much for the pattern . They are elegant and not tacky like some of the head covers. Could you tell me how large the numbers are. Yours seem to be the right size.
Thanks
Esther

Anonymous said...

Mine didn't shrink enough! Shall I reward in hot water or throw them in dryer?

chris said...

You sometimes need to put them through a second round of hot wash, or third.... Of course it won't shrink enough if you knit with less than 100% wool - and NOT superwash wool. (made that mistake once - did not shrink!)
keep trying.

Anonymous said...

2nd wash worked! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Do you have the wood hood pattern for straight needles?
Thanks!

chris said...

To work on straight needles: Follow directions as printed, but do not join in a circle. Work back and forth in the desired stitches (ribbing or stocking stitch ) and same increases and decreases and yarn changes and needle changes... all on straight needles. Then sew up the long back seam to close. Wash in the machine to felt as above!
Easy peasy

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly new to knitting. What does dpn stand for?

chris said...

dpn = double pointed needles, usually four, so you can knit a narrow thing, like a sock, in the round. (circular needles just won't work)
Chris

Anonymous said...

I bought four of these for $20 each. I'm so excited to make two more. Thanks for sharing your instructions.
Carol

Trixie's mom said...

I am knitting my first head cover--for a hybrid. I have completed the sock in 100% acrylic yarn. I'm going to knit the head cover in 100% wool. Can they be knit continuously and felted afterward, or do I need to knit the top separately and felt it before attaching it. If so, how do I attach the two pieces?

chris said...

In the pattern, I have instructed to knit them together, then hot wash the whole thing. The wool will shrink, but the sock should remain approx the same. If you are not sure the sock is acrylic, you can do them separately then loosely sew together.
Hope that helps, chris

Unknown said...

How many dpn do you need and what size. I am new to knitting and confused on the directions. It looks like 4 different sizes of needles.

chris said...

Hi Pat,

All my needles sizes are either US # ..... or #mm (metric) .... or both.

So you need one size of double points in the smaller size for the "socks", and one size for the "heads". Double points come in sets of four or five, depending on the way you want to knit. I usually use four, three to distribute the stitches around in a circle (actually a triangle) and one to knit off each needle.

Double point knitting is not a beginner project, but with someone by your side, this could be a fun learning project.

Cheers, Chris