Saturday, March 15, 2008

Quick Slippers, Felted Feet.

I paused for a day from my steel scarf and my newest cardigan and my current socks... to knit some new slippers. The ones I have been wearing are too big and fall off and slip around (aren't slippers supposed to slip?), and seeing as they were store bought (gasp) I knew I could do better by my feet. I had some Classic Wool left over from my Inukshuk project, and knew it would felt well. I found lots of felted patterns, but most have a high "boot" style, with the ankle covered and my feet get too hot in that style. These are more ballet slipper style, but needed a bit of elastic to make sure they stay on (and don't slip off).

Slippers:


Yarn: 2 balls of Patons Classic Wool (or any feltable worsted weight wool), Worked with 2 strands held together: in this case, dark grey and light grey. Start at toe. On 6 mm Double Point needles, cast on 16 sts. Evenly space on 3 and join in a circle. Knit around, increasing 4 sts evenly around each row until 48 sts are done. Work even in the round until 7 inches from start. Cast off 12 sts at top of foot, and work back and forth on 3 needles placing 10 on the first, 16 on the second and 10 on the last needle. Continue in stocking stitch until 12 inches from the start. Cast off the 10 stitches on the start of the next two rows, and work on the remaining 16 sts only until that part is 3 inches, cast off.



Sew the heel flap to the sides (the 10 st cast off) and sew closed the toe opening (cast on sts).




Felt in the washing machine (approx one cycle through the hot wash, but check halfway to make sure). Mold to foot shape and dry thoroughly, then run an elastic thread around the opening edges and tie at top of foot (see photos). Finished size fits my size 8 feet, and a few more rows (or less) would make a bit bigger or smaller. The reshaping when wet can also make the size a bit bigger or smaller. That's the beauty of felting.
OK, back to the socks and the steel scarf and the new cardigan and the charity finger puppets.... Only four knitting projects on the go right now, but I also have a new painting in the works, just in case I need a break from knitting. When golf season starts, I will be forced to cut back on the knitting.... oh well.





17 comments:

crazycrafter said...

These are so cool! Thanks for the pattern! Blessings,
Hannah, age 12

Sharri said...

These look so cool - but, I have a question about felting. Can it be done in a front loading washer?

chris said...

Hi Sharri, yes, you can use a front loader, add a bit of laundry detergent, and only set a short cycle, since you cannot take it out and check along the way. If not felted enough repeat again.
I LOVE to felt things! If they seem a bit too small, stretch while still wet, or if too small still, gift to a child you love!!
Chris

Woodsprite17 said...

Hi Thank you so much for your pattern. These are just I've been looking for. I'm itching to get out the needles and wool but will have to wait until the caste is off my hand-can't wait.
Hazel in Australia

Anonymous said...

I feel this should be for intermediate knitters.

chris said...

so true, this pattern is NOT a beginner pattern. You need basic sock experience (knitting on double points) AND felting experience.

Not sure who called it beginner, it was not me!

chrisknits

sheri said...

Look good glad to note you have several projects on the go. No I won't feel guilty when I start these Am a fan of felting.

Anonymous said...

I have never felted and don't know what 6mm dp needles equate to in US size. Any help? I can't wait to make these for my seniors who always have cold feet!

chris said...

6 mm = 10 US

All knitters should have a conversion chart handy, or bookmark one on the net! Let's promote bilingual knitting :)

Spot in Cyberspace said...

What's the gauge you used?

chris said...

I did not measure the gauge, this one is the exception to the gauge rule, as it pretty much does not matter, you are shrinking it to fit!! Since you are using 2 strands of worsted weight yarn, on the 6mm needles, it should be floppy and loose as you knit, and WAY too big for anyone's feet... then you shrink!
chris

Katy said...

What is worsted weight? Is it like our double knitting at all? I didn't understand worsted and Aran, do you use them together like a strand of each?

chris said...

Worsted Weight would be a wool that usually knits on 4.5 mm to 5.0 mm ( US 7 - 8 )
double knit (DK) weight would be 4.0 - 4.5mm (US 5-6)

Yes you work the worsted weight with TWO strands together (makes it thick!)

The main thing is that the yarn is 100% shrinkable wool.

Hope that helps, chris

BrenFinn said...

Love these and your pattern will perfectly fit my size 8s. But I would love to knit a pair for my husband whose feet are HUGE! Size 15 wide. (He's a big guy all over at 6'6"). Any suggestions for adapting this pattern for him?

chris said...

Hi Brenda. Compare the outline for your foot, to the outline for hubby's foot. If it is 25% larger, then change the stitch numbers and measurements to 25% more. You should end up with a slipper that much bigger ! It's just math!
Hope that helps, chris

Unknown said...

I'm a new knitter. Vague instructions still baffle me so please translate...what stitch should I use to increase? What type of cast-on/ cast-off stitch? On DPN, is each needle a row or is one row the three combined? I've made mini stockings for Christmas so I should be able to handle it, except for being unsure of terms. Sorry for the stupid questions!

chris said...

Hi new knitter, you can use any increase, cast on, and off stitch.... one row on DPN's means work EACH needle once, coming around to the same spot again makes a row.
Since this slipper is shrunk (felted) the stitch definition disappears in the wash (literally), thats why the style of cast on or increase or cast off does not matter! yay