Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Bohemian Scarf

In my stash were 3 skeins of Patons Bohemian, a super-soft fuzzy yarn in a fabulous orange called copper chaos. I whipped up this boa style scarf on big needles with 10 stitches across. Really easy and very cool....
3 skeins Bohemian (Patons)
12 mm needles (knit with three strands held together)
PATTERN:
Holding THREE strands together, Cast on 10 stitches.
Row one: knit all stitches
Row two: knit 3, purl 4, knit 3
Repeat these two rows until skeins are almost gone (3 feet left)

Last row: knit 3, cast off middle 3 stitches, cut yarn and pull end through 4th middle stitch.

Only 6 stitches remain on the needles, 3 on each side of the cast off stitches.

Pull 3 stitches off the needles and unravel one loop at a time down the side of the scarf, with each loop, make a knot at the base of the loop, pulling it tight so the knot is close to the body of the scarf. Work your way down the side of the scarf, making loppy knots all the way down. Repeat the loops on the other side, dropping the 3 edge stitches there too, and knotting the loops until all are done.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this scarf twice but the third one the loops got twisted, half way down on one side.....it looks like I might have started pulling the loope on the 2nd row instead of the first.....can i straighten it out somehow....they are interwined with each other....the one side is fine...can i pull out where i ended off??? thank you

chris said...

I fixed a couple of scarves that had this problem... ultimately it is difficult, but you could break the yarn (not near the body of the scarf, but near the outside edge. Then untangle the knots then tie in the overhand knot to finish the fringe like you normally do. Trim the excess fringe if it is too long. good luck.

Dotty said...

When you start dropping the 3 edge stitches, do you start from the outside edge or from the middle edge of the 3 stitches?

Would appreciate any response.

chris said...

drop all three at once.... pull out each row as you find them! FUN!

Dotty said...

Thanks for your quick response. I'll let you know how I do when I get to that point.

Dotty said...

It was FUN! The first one I made was wine colored. I am starting another in the blues. Some girls in my knitting circle are interested in making it also.

METittle said...

I'm not sure what you mean by the last paragraph of instructions. How do you make loopy knots all the way down? Do you have a photo of a close up? I don't understand how you get the loops

chris said...

The last three photos show: 1 three stitches ON the needles at each side.
2: working one side, drop off the three stitches and gently unravel one loop at a time all the way down the scarf, 3: tying in an overhand knot at each set of loops.

The comments above from Dotty, may also help.

Anonymous said...

I'm new to knitting so forgive me, I love the look of this and want to try it. I'm also not certain I understand about unraveling the loops down the side. BUT, when you are finished, is the body of the scarf narrow (the 4 stitches you casted off in the middle) and the three on each side make the loops?

chris said...

exactly.. the body is narrow with lots of loopy fringe on the right and left! Kind of a boa. You will love it.

Anonymous said...

I just found this pattern. Way Cool! Can't wait to make it. Can you tell me the yardage of the yarn? If I can't find this one, I'll want to sub with a diff yarn, so need the yardage. Thanks.

chris said...

I googled this yarn, it seems to be still available...
68 yards

one source:
http://www.yarnspirations.com/yarn/bohemian.html

chris