Sunday, December 18, 2011

Upholstery 101

My first attempt of re-upholstery. I have always wanted to try my hand at this, although there is actually very little sewing (and NO knitting required). I found the above chair on kijiji for $15. Since I also had a few meters of red upholstery fabric in my stash, it was a good time to give it a go. Off came the furry orange fabric and all the dusty guts. Then I painted the wood a mat black. I re-padded the seat and back and stapled the new cover over the fresh padding (foam, poly quilt batting, and cotton batting). I used grosgrain ribbon to cover the staples, and finish the edges. The arm pads are envelopes of fabric, filled with quilt batting and wrapped around the arms. Ribbons hold them in place, although I will likely throw a few heavy duty stitches underneath to secure a bit better.

Will I do it again? It was a LOT of work and I think I took more time than I could have, just because I did not know exactly what I was doing... but I do like the end result, and I will keep cruising kijiji for other shabby treasures.
Almost done my gift knitting, and have started to plan my next original knitting pattern! Yeah!

No comments: