Friday, October 1, 2010

Fundraiser Sweater

My new quilting friend Jane is having a pasta night fundraiser for her trip to Nicaragua in January. She will be going to teach quilting to local women as a source of income, as well as taking unavailable supplies to help with daily life. (see the Pad Party entry).
The pasta night information is on her blog HERE, and if you live in Niagara, please attend! October 26th! Tickets can be purchased at Kindred Spirit Quilt Shop in St. Catharines.
I have offered to knit an original design sweater for her silent auction. So the first thing I did was call my knitting friend Jane and ask to raid her stash... I have serious stash envy toward Jane, and she has a floor to ceiling shelving unit filled with colour coordinated skeins of amazing yarns collected from years of sales and clear-outs and other obscure sources! She was quick to offer access to this delightful tower of yarn, and we went through and found this.....



Two yarns, one a shimmering chenille in muted teal, and the other a mohair, wool mix in teal with nubs of tan and cream. I am planning a coat with the textures playing against each other in an abstract pattern, maybe with a large draped collar... I am in love with that style.

Yarn value will be approximately $80, and take about 20 hours of knitting (I am a fast knitter), so I hope that we can command an excellent bid for the fundraiser on this item.... more photos to show as it becomes a great sweater coat! Stay tuned....

3 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Hustle, hustle.....
Looking forward to seeing it.

chris said...

new friend Jane was worried that one month was too short a time to make a sweater... old friend Jane knew I would make this... AND two more before the Pasta Night!
It's easy... just don't cook or clean!

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful!!!
And so is the squirrel.