Sunday, January 23, 2011

new nuno part two, the vest

I cut the fabric to shape after making a muslin pattern that I liked (kind of like a swatch in knitting terms). Then I finished the edges with some wet felt roving binding, dried, then needle felted to close the edges and give definition. The back of the vest.....
The back of the bolero.....
The vest also needed a bit of shaping at the neck and waist, and I made some subtle, invisible darts to de-box-ify the whole thing. (new word, means less boxy!).

The beauty of this design is that you can wear it four ways. Silk side out, vest...
Silk side out, upside down, bolero with big collar.....
Felt side out, vest......
Felt side out, upside down, bolero with big collar.....
I need to find some nice pins to use to close the vest, something earthy or sparkly, not sure. This vest is super light and very soft to touch. Much more stunning in person due to the textures of the wools and wrinkled silk. I am tired, but thrilled with the effort.
(PS: when I did the spell-check it did not like de-box-ify! HUH!)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

This is beautiful Chris!!!!