Sunday, December 21, 2008

Rush Weekend

The weekend before Christmas, and although the shopping for presents is all done, there is always the rush for the finishing touches, decorating, and prepping the house for the infestation of returning kids and visiting relatives. When you live in quiet harmony with just one other, the addition of grown children and their friends visiting, and relatives stopping over, means you must prepare the guestrooms, and wash all the sheets and towels, and get extra food for the house. You would think that is enough to keep us busy, but on top of that, we had a massive snow storm on Friday, that shut the schools and stranded most folks on their streets until the plows released them Saturday afternoon. The grocery store was mobbed of course by the time I could make it there, but I did remember to pack my patience and was just pleased to be able to restock the shelves.... and speaking of shelves... we have chosen this weekend to take off all the cabinet doors and drawers and refinish the whole kitchen with a fresh coat of walnut stain! So here is our kitchen... I hope they get done and replaced by Christmas, but it does make putting groceries and dishes away VERY easy! hmmm.
and here is the quilt I managed to finish to put on dear daughters bed for her visit... the top is made of abandoned jeans, cords and assorted pants, and some leftover black ultra-suede (the larger black squares. The only part I purchased was the batting and the backing cotton. I like the result. I had to finish the job, because it not only goes on her bed, but the bed will be set up in my sewing room, so I had to clear away the mess and the machine! Busy.

Here is a photo of a couple of my nutcrackers. I have a collection of about 50, mostly on the mantle. I finally set up the tree and the nutcrackers, just in time for guests, who start rolling in tonight.
Knitting: I did finish the last two gifts, and all are wrapped, so I can start on my own knitting again, and plan a complicated cable cardigan design to feature here in the near future, but likely will keep to socks and scarves while guests are here and there is wine to be consumed. (please, don't drink and cable).

No comments: