Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jitterbug Scarf

I found an irresistable skein of Colinette Jitterbug. It is Colinette's new sock yarn, with all the colour magnificence of other Colinette yarns. Yet, I was reluctant to tuck such brilliance under my jeans and in my shoes.... so I designed an easy almost triangle mini scarf that shows off the yarn and colours in plain sight! One skein is all you need. The scarf is knit on 4.0 mm needles, with a simple rib pattern: Row 1: K4, [YO, K2tog, K4] repeat across. Row 2: Purl across. Row 3: K4,[K2tog, YO, K4] across. Row 4: Purl across. *YO = yarn over the needle, thus adding a stitch (and a lacey one at that). K2tog = Knit the next two stitches together, thus decreasing a stitch (usually to compensate for a YO added stitch).

If anyone has difficulty with the instructions here (newer to knitting lace or shaping) PLEASE email me, and I will return a more detailed pattern instruction... several have asked for more explanation.  Forgive me, I always assume you guys can easily see the imagined pictures in my mind!!  duh!

Cast on 34 and start pattern to establish. Maintaining an edge of 2 stocking stitches at each end, Increase one stitch EACH side of the right side, INSIDE the edge stitches... Do this by adding one Yarn-Over after the first edge (2knits) without a corresponding knit-two-together. Do the same Yarn-Over before the last 2 edge stitches. This makes a nice tidy edge to the scarf. Between these edge stitches, continue in the 4 by 2 rib pattern, absorbing the extra yarn over increases as the scarf gets wider. Keep adding the increase YO on each right side, inside the edge sts throughout the project. When the yarn is almost gone, bind off the last row. Dampen and block, and then wear as you would like!
This pattern can be used for any fingering weight yarn, and you could also keep going with more yarn and create a large triangle shawl. Just switch to large circular needles to accomodate the many, many, many more stitches!

16 comments:

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I want that pin. If I ever knit a scarf, I would NEED that pin. You will hear back from me about the pin.

chris said...

The pin is from Walmart in their cosmetic jewelry area. Crystals on "silver" metal.... does the trick though, eh?

Carol said...

Do you have a gauge for this project?

chris said...

nope, gauge is not important in a triangle shawl.... :)

Anonymous said...

What is finished size?

chris said...

Mine was about 33" at the widest part, and about 15 " deep. Other sock weight yarns may be softer and stretch a bit longer, or if you have more than one skein, you could keep knitting, and increasing, and make it as large as you want.
Make it your own style!

chris said...

sorry I do not have the exact measurements. I made it in 2008 and gave it away as a gift....

Anonymous said...

Is this pattern easy enough for a beginner? I really like it.

chris said...

You would need some experience with yarn over lace, and with increasing shape... but with help, it could be that pattern that takes a beginner to the next level! Happy knitting, chris

Anonymous said...

Can this be done with a lace weight yarn

chris said...

Lace weight yarn would be fantastic for this pattern. Just a bit finer, and you can knit a few more rows to make it big enough!

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. If I increase 2 stitches on the right side rows the pattern doesn't work. I k2 YO k2 did the pattern and ended work k2 YO k2
Purled the next row
Increased on the next row but pattern didn't work
What am I doing wrong?

chris said...

Once you get past the first increase, you need to treat the edges (the two edge stitches) separately from the pattern. This means as you have more stitches added - third stitch in from each edge, you convert them INTO the 4 by 2 rib. Change them to stocking stitch until you have more than the 4 required to add another vertical row of eyelet rib. I know it sounds weird in writing, but once you SEE it, the eyelets will run in a vertical line up the scarf.

Suggestion is to take it to a friend or yarn shop to get you past the first 6 - 10 rows, then you will be on your way!

Cheers, chris

Marsha Ebaugh said...

Am trying to knit this pattern, but have the same problem anonymous had with what to do as stitches are added (3rd stitch from both edges is yo increase).

Would it be possible for you to write out the exact instructions for rows 3 and 5? Like k2, yo, k4 (or k3?), (k2tog, YO, k4) . . . k4 (or k3?), yo, k2?

From your previous post:
This means as you have more stitches added - third stitch in from each edge, you convert them INTO the 4 by 2 rib.

The third stitch in is the yo increase stitch, right? Assuming you mean that yo when you say: "you convert them." Exactly how do you convert them? Convert them exactly to what?

Sorry this is so long and I'm so dense. Would really appreciate your help. Marsha Ebaugh

chris said...

Done Martha, I have written a more detailed version, please email me (address on the side of blog) and I will forward the version that I hope will walk you thru it a bit better... see the blue words in the blog that tell anyone to do the same! Love that everyone is reading and trying my patterns, and encouraging ME to write with more clarity... love you all.
Chris

Suzi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.